Most coveted colleges in the city filled up all their vacant seats on Wednesday with the offline admissions coming to an end.
At Jai Hind College, almost all 100 seats were filled, at Sathaye 42, SIES 20, and at Khalsa College 53. These colleges said there would not be any further merit list.
“I do not think there will be any cancellations at this stage and we will not have another list,” said Kirti Narain, principal of Jai Hind College.
“We had at least 500 more students with good scores who we could not admit.”
The department said that colleges could continue to admit their students offline depending on their vacancies and the merit of the student.
“It is alright if a college admits a student slightly lower than its last round cut-off but the difference should not be more than a few percentage points,” said a department official.
He estimated that there were 100 or 200 students who had not yet gotten admission anywhere, even after four general admission rounds.
“It was wrong of those who had already been allotted seats to have re-applied through the offline round, that round was exclusively meant to be for the un-allotted students,” the official added.
Colleges are relieved that admissions are over and that there will not be any more rounds after this.
“Hopefully it has all drawn to a close and we can get started with the year,” said Harsha Mehta, principal of SIES College in Sion.
IGCSE students who were finding it difficult to apply earlier have gotten seats, though they pointed out that they were only included in the process at the last minute.
“We had to get a management seat because we didn’t know whether the college would admit my son through the offline process,” said the parent of a student who got admission into Mithibai College at Vile Parle.