A week after a 36-year-old man was set ablaze and killed over a redevelopment row, police on Monday arrested one of three accused.
Sanjay Parab was arrested from outside the Sessions court, where he had applied for anticipatory bail. The police said that the court rejected his plea, after which Parab tried to flee the spot. However, a police team stationed outside the court caught him.
“We arrested Parab on charges of murder and are now searching for his accomplices, Savio Anthony and Sayo Anthony,” said Sharad Bhosale, senior inspector, Versova police station.
Shah, who was a driver by profession, used to live with his mother, second wife, and an eight-year-old son from his first marriage. His sister, Noorbano Shaikh, lives next door.
The three accused reportedly wanted him to sell his hutment, as the area where it is located is entitled for redevelopment under the Slum Rehabilitation Act, and approached him several times to convince him to do so. However, Shah refused each time.
On October 7, Shah had a tiff with the trio, while he was leaving his sister’s house. Shah’s sister then told the police that she saw someone pour kerosene on him. By the she reached the spot, the accused had fled and Shah had already been set on fire. He was rushed to the hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.