MUMBAI: The Mumbai police on Tuesday stressed that the probe was not over yet into the allegations that a telephone in revenue minister Eknath Khadse’s name had received calls from underworld gangster Dawood Ibrahim’s residence.
The clarification came after the police faced criticism that it was showing alacrity to give clean chit to the minister in the case.
Mumbai police commissioner Datta Padsalgikar said that the earlier comment by the police was based on a preliminary probe.
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Preeti Menon, meanwhile, met Padsalgikar and joint commissioner of police (crime) AC Kulkarni on Tuesday to submit new dates on which the minister’s number allegedly received the calls from the Karachi-based number, registered under the name of gangster’s wife.
“The police commissioner told us that the police checked call records of the dates we had submitted earlier and did not find anything suspicious. We have now asked them to check Khadse’s call records between January and March 2015, when he received seven calls from Dawood’s landline number,” said Menon.
Senior officers, meanwhile, refused to comment on whether the number was operational.
The officials had earlier sought detailed call records of Khadse’s number from Idea Cellular, the service provider, for the period September 2015 to April 2016.
“The police are working under pressure and hence they were quick to issue a clean chit. I want a thorough investigation in the whole incident,” added Menon.
“This is a serious allegation involving the underworld and we are probing it in depth,” said Padsalgikar.