The Maharashtra government Friday asked Pakistan to take the bodies of nine LeT terrorists killed during the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, lying in the J J Hospital morgue for over a year now.
"As the bodies have been identified as those of Pakistani nationals, the neighbouring country should accept them," Home Minister R R Patil told reporters here.
Stating that the state government had already sought Centre's permission to dispose off the bodies and a reply was awaited, Patil said.
"The Centre's approval for disposing off the bodies is necessary considering involvement of foreign agencies in the investigation," the minister said, adding that the DNA samples, required for probe and trial of the case, have already been collected.
Muslim organisations in Mumbai had announced that community cemeteries where unclaimed bodies are usually buried will not open their doors for performing the last rites of the slain terrorists.
The terrorists have been identified as Nazir, Babar Imran alias Abu Akasa, Abu Ali, Abu Soheb, Bada Abdul Rehman, Abu Umar, Fahadullah, Abdul Rehman Chota and Ismail Khan. The lone surviving 26/11 terrorist, Ajmal Kasab, is currently facing trial.