Petitioner pressurised witnesses, alleges defence | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 19, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Petitioner pressurised witnesses, alleges defence

mumbai Updated: Aug 05, 2011 02:16 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Ramprasad Gupta

Ramprasad Gupta, the first prosecution witness and complainant in the Ramnarayan Gupta alias Lakhan Bhaiya fake encounter case, denied before the trial court on Thursday that he had pressurised witnesses to file complaints to support his claim that the police had abducted his brother and killed him.

On the fourth day of cross-examination, senior defence counsel Harshad Ponda brought to the court’s attention that people, who according to Ramprasad had knowledge of the fake encounter, had refused to come forward, including Dheeraj Mehta.

He claimed that Mehta had allegedly telephoned him on the day of the fake encounter and informed that Ramnarayan and Anil Bheda were picked up by the police on November 11, 2006 from Vashi, following which Ramnarayan was killed in an alleged fake encounter at Nana-Nani Park in Versova.

“You were pressurising Mehta, Anil Bheda and his wife Aruna to support your complaints but they refused to support you in filing a false complaint,” said Ponda.

Lakhan Bhaiya’s brother Ramprasad also denied Ponda’s allegation that his petition before the Bombay high court was false and the video of the crime scene was recorded two days after the incident.

Further, defence advocate RB Mokashi asked Ramprasad if Ramnarayan had moved to Thane because he was wanted in several cases, which were registered against him in Mumbai. “He had several serious cases such as murder and robbery pending against him. He left Mumbai because he was wanted by the police here,” said Mokashi.

Ramprasad denied Mokashi’s claims and told the court that Ramnarayan had moved to Thane few years prior to his death because the police was harassing him.

In a recent development, the remains of Bheda, the sole eye-witness to the alleged encounter, were found by Navi Mumbai police.