Organisers of a Marathi play in Ambernath could get into trouble after the Bombay High Court said that prima facie case of culpable homicide was made out against them after a 14-year-old boy was electrocuted at the venue.
On Wednesday, the court was hearing a petition by Ulhasnagar resident Vivek Malani whose son Abhishek died in May. Abhishek had gone to watch a play organised by local Rotary Club where he died due to electrocution.
Counsel for Devendra Jain of the Rotary Club argued on Wednesday that his client had nothing to do with the boy’s death. Counsel SR Chitnis argued “It was an accidental death. The organisers cannot be held responsible for it.”
“A boy died at the show organised by you. That is not just your negligence,” said Justice Nazki.
Additional Public Prosecutor Ajey Gadkari informed the court that an FIR was lodged on July 30 against four of the organisers. “They have been booked for causing death by negligence,” said Gadkari. Assistant Police Inspector Shrikant Dharane had filed an affidavit stating he had examined 11 witnesses.