Two days after the Hindustan Times reported on the alarming number of chain-snatching cases registered across the city within the last 90 days, the Mumbai police have ‘corrected’ the figures published on their website, bringing the figure down from 1,763 to only 434.
On April 19, the Hindustan Times — referring to statistics uploaded on the Mumbai police website — had reported that between January and March, around 20 cases of chain snatching were reported daily in the city. But the amended statistics state that only five cases were registered across the city daily.
Figures for the previous year were also amended. The website earlier stated that 1,680 cases of chain snatching were reported between January and March 2010 which has been changed to 440 cases.
When asked about the changes on the website, deputy commissioner of police (operations) Rajkumar Vhatkar said:
“The statistics uploaded on the website now, for the current year and the previous year, are correct. The earlier statistics were incorrectly uploaded due to a technical error.”
Several inspectors had expressed shock over the earlier figures. An officer, requesting anonymity said, “We suspect there is something wrong with the earlier figures — 1,763 cases appear too high for a period of only three months.”
However, the figure of 1,763 did not seem to be a typing mistake, since the figures, for the corresponding period last year was just as high — 1,680.
The police commissioner has asked officers to tackle the menace of chain snatching on a priority basis. He had instructed the senior police inspector and the deputy commissioner of police to present themselves before him and offer an explanation in case a chain-snatching case is lodged at their police station.