A day after three blasts wreaked havoc during the evening rush hour at Opera House, Zaveri Bazaar and Dadar, killing 17 persons and injuring 133, investigators have zeroed in on the footage from CCTVs in these areas.
Investigators have identified at least three suspects from footage from a camera near the khau galli at Opera House. It showed the three, who investigators said did not fit in, moving around in the area for an hour.
The three walked about separately and gave no indication of knowing each other, said an investigator, who requested anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to the media.
“They looked out of place,” the officer said adding that they were seen using mobile phones.
This has left security agencies puzzled as their information was the Indian Mujahideen, the prime suspects, had stopped using mobile phones. Who did it?
Security agencies have been aware of the presence of some IM operatives in Mumbai for the last one month, the investigator said.
“We know they have spoken to their families and their presence has been registered.”
The family members have not been questioned as the intelligence agencies do not want to alert the suspected IM operatives that they are under surveillance.
Security agencies were also trying to identify the motive for Wednesday’s blasts. They could have been in retaliation for the arrest of ten IM operatives from Madhya Pradesh and one from Vadodara last month or a diversionary tactic to draw investigators away, the officer said.
He dismissed the two IM operatives who were arrested by the Maharashtra Police’s Anti-Terrorism Squad a couple of days ago as mere car thieves not connected to Wednesday’s blasts. The two are accused of stealing the cars used in the Ahmedabad blasts of 2008.'Probing all possible angles'
| Why is Mumbai an easy target?
| See pics
| Latest updates