Police flip-flop on questioning Nitesh | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police flip-flop on questioning Nitesh

mumbai Updated: Sep 28, 2010 00:37 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

The Mumbai police cannot seem to be able to decide whether or not they want to question state revenue minister Narayan Rane’s son, Nitesh, in the attempt to murder case registered against him.

On Monday morning, additional commissioner of police (west), Amitabh Gupta, told journalists that Nitesh would be coming to Khar police station to record his statement. When Nitesh did not turn up all day, Gupta made a U-turn and denied that Nitesh had been called at all. “We hadn’t summoned Nitesh Rane today,” Gupta said.

A spokesperson for Nitesh said the police had not called Nitesh for questioning on Monday.

The police wanted to interrogate Nitesh in the attempt to murder case registered against him after Chintu Shaikh (35), who heads the transport union wing of Nitesh’s non-governmental organisation, Swabhi-maan, alleged that Nitesh fired a shot at him.

Shaikh alleged that Nitesh shot at him at the latter’s Khar office on Thursday following an altercation with Nitesh’s bodyguards when he had gone there to distribute sweets to celebrate the birth of his son. Nitesh has denied the allegation.

Shaikh, who claimed that the bullet hit his cheek, drove to LH Hiranandani Hospital, Powai, after the incident.

Both, Shaikh and the police, are waiting for reports from JJ Hospital to ascertain the nature of his injuries. Doctors at Hiranandani hospital had said it did not look like a bullet had caused Shaikh’s injury.

Shaikh had told Hindustan Times on Sunday that he moved to JJ Hospital because he was not satisfied with the reports given by doctors at Hiranandani hospital. “The doctors at JJ Hospital have said we will get the reports on Wednesday. We’ll decide the course of action after that,” Shaikh’s wife, Simran, said.

Investigating officer Baburao Mukhedkar said the police have sent the shirt Nitesh was wearing on the day of the incident to the Forensic Sciences Laboratory at Kalina. “We are waiting for Shaikh’s medical report from JJ Hospital,” Mukhedkar said.