Police foil 17-year-old’s car theft plan | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 25, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police foil 17-year-old’s car theft plan

mumbai Updated: Apr 26, 2010 01:25 IST
HT Correspondent

To impress girls from his college, the 17-year-old son of a Class I railway officer roped in his former driver and two of his friends on Friday to rob a car, sell it and buy a new one from that money. But they failed.

The Cuffe Parade police on Friday arrested driver Chiranjeev Prajapati (22), Ashish Kumar Vijay Raj Ind (22) and Vijay alias Guddu Thakur (23) who agreed to gang up with Vicky (name changed).

Vicky, a resident of the Railway Colony in Badhwar Park, was released on bail on Saturday, as he was a minor, while the remaining three were remanded to police custody till Tuesday.

The police said Prajapati and Thakur spotted a Honda Civic that belonged to businessman Rajesh Shahani, who stays at Jolly Maker tower near the World Trade Center.

Since Thakur worked in the building, he knew where the car keys were hung in the watchman quarters. Prajapati waited on a motorcycle outside the tower while Thakur went inside and flicked the keys.

“Thakur got inside and drove away. Shahani’s driver tried to stop but when the car took speed he moved away,” said Sub-Inspector Subhash Chavan.

When the duo was fleeing, the CCTV camera installed at the tower’s gate captured the image of Prajapati waiting outside.

“On Friday we arrested Prajapati from the railway quarters at Badhwar Park where he worked. He lead us to the other accused and confessed that they committed the crime at the behest of his former employer’s son,” added Chavan.

“Prajapati told us the boy had asked them to get him a car so that he could sell it and buy a new one to impress the girls in his college. The boy said he will keep Rs 12 lakh from the money they get from selling the stolen car, and give them Rs 6 lakh from which they could settle their debts,” added Chavan.

The police then arrested Vicky on Saturday. He was released on a bail bond of Rs 5,000.