Police off to Singapore to bring Pillai back | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police off to Singapore to bring Pillai back

mumbai Updated: Jun 23, 2016 01:14 IST
Saurabh M Joshi
Saurabh M Joshi
Hindustan Times
Kumar Krishna Pillai

A five-member team of Mumbai crime branch left for Singapore on Wednesday night for extradition of engineer-turned-gangster Kumar Krishna Pillai, who is wanted for murder and extortion cases.

On the run since the early 2000s, Pillai was arrested in January 2016 in Singpore.

His extradition was cleared by the court there on May 18, giving him 15 days to appeal before a higher court. The judges also accepted the evidence, including his fingerprints, provided by the Mumbai police. The deadline ended on June 2 without his filing a fresh appeal, paving the way for his extradition.

Police sources said that he will be brought back to Mumbai before the end of this month, attributing the delay to incomplete procedures. Some immigration related documents will have to be prepared, as Pillai also holds a Hong Kong passport, officials said.

“Putting the documents in place will be done by the Singaporean government in coordination with the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA). Until those papers are ready, we won’t be able to take him in custody,” said a crime branch officer.

The crime branch team, headed by a DCP-rank officer, will bring him back by a commercial airline, unlike gangster Chhota Rajan who was brought to Mumbai from Bangkok by a 15-seater Gulfstream charter plane in November 2015, due to security reasons.

Born in an affluent family in Vikhroli, Pillai became a textile engineer before joining gangster Amar Naik gang in 1994. He has six criminal cases, including murder.

His father, Krishna Pillai, was killed after he refused to sell his club to a local corporator. Dreams of avenging his father death drew Pillai to organised crime.

Later, he left Amar Naik’s gang and was alleged to have planned the murder of Sunil Khatau, owner of Byculla’s Khatau Mills, in 1994. Pillai was arrested around 1998, but was later released on bail. Later, he was said to have left the country for Hong Kong. His mother runs a school in Vikhroli (East), started by her husband.