‘Police picked up my mentally ill son’ | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

‘Police picked up my mentally ill son’

mumbai Updated: Jul 10, 2010 00:39 IST
Shahkar Abidi

A Malad resident has alleged that the Nehru Nagar police investigating the two unsolved cases of rape and murders of minors, have illegally detained his 20-year-old mentally challenged son for the last 24 days.

Forty-five-year-old Ram Sharma, who works a chef, has alleged that his son, Amit, has been missing since the afternoon of June 16.

“We went to the Dindoshi police to register a missing complaint but the police told me to search for him properly and then wait for him to return.”

Amit was under treatment at JJ Hospital, Byculla, when he went missing. The Dindoshi police registered a missing complaint on July 5 after the family said Amit was still nowhere to be found.

The next day, when Ram was at work, Amit’s mother, Meena (34), saw her son on television when the Nehru Nagar police were taking him away.

“Since he went missing, we had been surfing news channels hoping to get some clues. On June 6, I saw him on television being taken away by the police in Nehru Nagar,” she said.

“The news channel was saying the police had picked him up on suspicion in the killings.”

Police Inspector A. Sawant of Nehru Nagar denied that they had ever detained or arrested a youth with a description matching Amit’s.

The mother, however, is sure it was her son on television.

“How can I not recognise him? He was wearing the same pink shirt when he went missing,” Meena said. “He was wearing three shirts, one over the other, on the day he went missing. News channels also said the suspect was found wearing three shirts when nabbed.”

Since Amit has strayed into unknown areas on his own in the past, his family is not surprised that he reached Nehru Nagar, 15 km away.

Ram has since been visiting Nehru Nagar police station every day. “The police are not cooperating. They are refusing to entertain our queries,” he said.

The body of a six-year-old girl who had gone missing on February 7 was found the next day in a building in Nehru Nagar. Police said she was raped before being strangulated.

On March 6, a nine-year-old girl was found on the terrace of the police quarters located near the Nehru Nagar police station. This girl also was strangulated before being raped. A 19-year-old was held for the third rape and murder that of a nine-year-old girl but are looking for the culprit in the first two cases.