Police seek help from Norway to trace culprit | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 25, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police seek help from Norway to trace culprit

mumbai Updated: Apr 06, 2011 01:31 IST
HT Correspondent

The Internet Protocol (IP) address of the sender of the threat mail on the day of World Cup final match between India and Sri Lanka at the Wankhede Stadium was traced to suburban Oslo, Norway’s capital.

Himanshu Roy, joint commissioner of police, crime, said on Tuesday though the mail turned out to be a hoax, the police have written to the Norwegian government, through the ministry of external affairs, to track down the sender of the mail on the basis of the IP address.

“Only after the sender is identified, we will be in a position to ascertain the intention behind the mail,” he added. Roy also made it clear that the privacy police of the Scandinavian countries should not come on the way of identifying the culprit.

“Though the Scandinavians have a very strict internet privacy policy, but they have extended assistance to us in matters of narcotic drugs and terrorism,” Roy said.

Oslo has a sizeable population of migrants from the Indian sub-continent and the police suspect that the sender could be a sympathiser of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) or just another prankster. Norway had acted as facilitator of the last peace process between Sri Lanka and the LTTE.

“We are not ruling out the possibility of him (the sender) being an LTTE sympathiser,” Roy said.

The police suspect LTTE hand in this hoax email threat because Sri Lanka was playing against India in the final and also because Sri Lankan president Mahinda Rajapaksa, known for his hard stand against the LTTE, was in Mumbai to watch the match at the Wankhede Stadium.

Three hours before the final match began on Saturday, the Mumbai police’s official website received an email, threatening bomb blasts at 30 spots inside the stadium.

The police quickly swung into action and within an hour, the Cyber Crime Investigation Cell traced the origin of the mail to a Norwegian server even as search of the stadium established that it was hoax.

The police had deployed 40 National Security Guards snipers inside the stadium and entire area had been combed and sanitised by several teams of the Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad by then.

Thanks to the ban on bulk SMS and strict confidentiality maintained by the officers, no one could get a whiff about the mail or the mobilisation of a massive force that followed it.