Police yet to identify Malad double murder accused | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Police yet to identify Malad double murder accused

mumbai Updated: Apr 13, 2012 01:29 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The police team investigating the double murder that took place near Malad railway station on Wednesday evening is still clueless about the identity of the four perpetrators. The Malad police and the crime branch claim to be investigating the case on priority after police commissioner Arup Patnaik assured friends of the deceased that the accused would be arrested within eight days.

The police have started tracking down members of gangs known to operate in the western suburbs as they suspect the accused were professionals.

Deputy commissioner of police (zone 11) Mahesh Patil said, “We suspect the four accused were affiliated to a gang that operates in the western and northern suburbs and targets jewellers. There are a few gangs that employ the same modus operandi used by the four men. We have started the process of tracking down persons with such records.”

The local police and the crime branch are also making a list of people who were aware about the route taken by the deceased.

“It is obvious that someone well-versed with the route taken by the wholesale jewellery seller and his employee, is involved. Current and former employees working for the wholesaler, and owners of the shops where they went to deliver jewellery will be questioned,” said an officer linked to the investigation.

The incident took place on Wednesday evening around 5pm on the foot over-bridge near Malad railway station when Paras Parmar, 48, and his employee Hemant, 35, were returning home with gold jewellery and cash. They had made a delivery at Malad (West).

Four men carrying choppers intercepted and stabbed them to death. Locals rushed the victims to Ashoka hospital, where they were declared dead on arrival.

The four accused fled in an autorickshaw after threatening the driver at gunpoint. They got off at Malad’s Liberty Garden area, after which the driver informed the Malad police station, where a case of murder has been registered against unidentified accused.