Pool death: ‘Residents refused to help’ | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 07, 2016-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Pool death: ‘Residents refused to help’

mumbai Updated: Feb 11, 2012 01:21 IST
Puja Changoiwala
Puja Changoiwala
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Did residents of the Oshiwara society waste critical minutes in rescuing Vyom Sah from the swimming pool where he drowned on Saturday? A member of Indra Darshan (phase 2) housing society, where 7-year-old Vyom died, has alleged that other members of the society looked on as the boy lay motionless in the pool and he received medical attention a full 45 minutes after being spotted.

Captain Suurjitsingh Ghuman, a member of the management committee of the building, said he received a call at around 12.40pm on Saturday, saying that an unknown boy was lying in the swimming pool. “When I reached the pool, I saw around 20 to 25 people, all residents of the society, standing around the pool, inquiring who the child was,” Ghuman said. “When I asked them why they did not take the boy out of the pool, they said it was the police's lookout.”

Ghuman, who is a captain on a merchant vessel, fished the boy out of the pool while the police control was informed. “He was floating on the water with his face down, towards the deep end of the pool. I brought him out immediately, but it was already 25 minutes since he was first spotted,” Ghuman said.

The boy was rushed to Cooper hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

The decision to take him to the hospital in Juhu was, according to Ghuman, questionable.

“There are several local doctors near our housing society. I do not understand why a doctor was not immediately summoned and why the boy was taken to Cooper hospital which is relatively far. We lost precious time,” Ghuman said.

Ghuman blamed the bystanders for not responding to the emergency in time.

“There is a possibility that the boy could have been saved, if not for the 45-minute delay. But somehow, everyone in the society raised their hands saying that police will do the work. Had it been their kid, would they have waited for the police to intervene,” Ghuman asked.

Hindustan Times tried reaching the chairman and the secretary of the society for their version of events. However, neither responded to calls or text messages till the time of going to press.