Prakash Mahajan to go on indefinite fast | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Prakash Mahajan to go on indefinite fast

mumbai Updated: Aug 04, 2010 01:27 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The Mahajan family is in the news again. Staking claim on an ancestral property that brother Pramod Mahajan had handed over to a trust owned by the senior BJP leader, Prakash Mahajan has threatened to go an indefinite fast.

“If I don’t get justice from the courts, I will go on an indefinite fast. How can our ancestral property be handed over to the trust without any other family member being taken into confidence?” Prakash said to HT from Osmanabad. In July, he had sent a legal notice to Pramod’s family claiming stake in the approximately 4-acre land in Osmanabad that was originally owned by their father, Venkatesh Mahajan.

“Pramodji handed over the property to Tapaswi Public Charitable Trust in 2003, without consulting anyone in the family,” Prakash said.

He added that the trust is run by Pramod’s family members, including his wife, Rekha.

Subsequently, a medical college in the name of Venkatesh Mahajan was set up on this land. Prakash was first made the chairman of the trust but after he resigned, Pramod’s daughter Poonam, took over.

Prakash now claims that since it was ancestral property, he had asked Pramod to distribute the land amongst the siblings. When asked if any member of the Mahajan family had called him to resolve the issue, Prakash said they were no longer in touch.

“After Pravin Mahajan died, I have not heard anything from my brother’s family,” he said. A resident of Aurangabad, Prakash had a stint with Raj Thackeray’s Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, which he left during last elections.

He then joined the Shiv Sena where he is now the spokesperson of the party.

Pramod, a senior BJP leader, was shot dead by his brother, Pravin, in April 2006.

Pravin who was serving a life-term for murdering his brother, suffered a stroke on the penultimate day of his parole and subsequently died of multiple organ failure in Jupiter Hospital, Thane in March.