An assistant inspector from Versova police station is under the scanner for not having a post-mortem conducted on the body of Rameez Choughule.
Versova residents Rameez and sister Rehab died due to alleged pesticide poisoning earlier this month.
The police said on Saturday that they had ordered a preliminary departmental inquiry into the role of the assistant inspector who was on duty at the time.
According to the police, on July 4, Rameez, a homeopathic doctor, was taken to a general physician after he started to vomit blood, but was declared dead on arrival.
“The officer concerned should have had a post-mortem conducted on Rameez’s body, which he did not,” said Pratap Dighavkar, deputy commissioner of police, zone 9. “Also, the Choughule residence should have been inspected for pesticides, but the officer failed to do so.”
The final post-mortem report of Rehab, who passed away on July 6, confirmed that she had died due to phosphide poisoning.
The police will now record the statements of at least four officers as part of the probe, which will be overseen by assistant commissioner of police for the division, N Sharekhane.
Dighavkar said the grey powder found at the siblings’ residence was suspected to be aluminium phosphide, which can be extremely lethal if inhaled.
“The report from the forensic science laboratory has not arrived. But the three people arrested in the case have admitted to using the chemical,” said Dighavkar.
The Versova police have arrested pest control contractor Rukhshar Almekar, Borivli-based pesticide seller HM Shah and Pune-based Piyush Paraikh. The three were remanded in judicial custody on Saturday, said Sharad Borse, senior inspector.