Questioned and cleared | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Questioned and cleared

mumbai Updated: May 22, 2010 01:28 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Investigations into Thursday’s bomb hoax at the domestic airport have revealed the call was made from a Tata Indicom Walkie phone registered in the name of a Navi Mumbai businessman.

Late on Thursday night, police questioned the businessman but found he had never applied for the Tata Indicom connection. “He had no idea about the connection or the number, and he has never made a call from it,” said senior inspector Nitin Indurkar of the Santacruz airport police, who are now checking with Tata Indicom.

“We’re now getting details of the connection from Tata Indicom. We’re trying to find out what documents the accused used to get the connection,” said an officer.

Police said the accused will also be booked for cheating and forgery. “It appears the accused forged documents to get the connection,” said Amitabh Gupta, additional commissioner of police, West region.

A police team has been sent to Nerul, from where the call was made. “We’re speaking to the locals,” the officer added.

“We’re also questioning the businessman to see if he suspects anybody, or has shared his personal documents with an acquaintance of his,” another officer said.

Earlier, the airport police registered an FIR against an unknown caller, for giving false information to a public servant, circulation of false statement or rumour, and relevant sections of the Aircraft Act.

On Thursday afternoon, minutes before Kingfisher Airlines flight IT 3149 was to take off with 179 passengers from Mumbai to Lucknow, the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) control room in the domestic terminal got a call from someone who identified himself as Shoaib, and claimed to have overheard three men discussing a bomb planted on the flight.

The flight was delayed by more than four hours. CISF personnel frisked passengers and scanned baggage twice following an emergency evacuation.