A day after it was revealed that former city collector Pradeep Vyas had failed to submit the Adarsh land title report, it has now come to light that even revenue department officials had kept the letter received from the defence estates officer (DEO) under wraps. The letter was not delivered to the chief minister.
The DEO, Saurav Ray, in his letter in July 2002 had raised apprehensions over the security implications of the multi-storeyed structure at Cuffe Parade.
Deposing before the two-member commission probing the Adarsh Society scam on Tuesday, Ramakant Asmar, then joint secretary, revenue and forest department said that the higher authority was not aware of the said letter.
"The issues raised by Ray were pertaining to the membership of the society and the ambiguity over the title of the land in question and some security issues. I did not consider it necessary to bring this letter to the notice of the higher offices, including the revenue minister and the chief minister," said Asmar. He further said, "In a note sent to the CM, there was no reference to the Ray's letter because the collector did not send any reply pursuant to the letter."
Aamar had earlier said that Vyas did not respond to the letter on the title of the land despite several reminders.