A new list of 37 special public prosecutors appointed by the Union home ministry to conduct trials or appeals for the National Investigation Agency (NIA) does not include the name of Rohini Salian, who on Thursday alleged that the NIA had asked her to go slow on the 2008 Malegaon terror blast case.
The gazette notification with the list is dated May 25, 2015.
It has listed 10 advocates to appear for it in the high court and trial courts in Maharashtra.
Rohini Salian had told The Indian Express on Thursday, “I was approached twice by an NIA officer to go slow on the case. And last week I was asked not to appear in the case. But I am yet to get any official communication.” Salian refused to comment further and said, “Apart from that I have nothing more to say. You should ask NIA.”
Trial in the case is yet to begin.
The NIA in its statement had said, “The NIA completely denies the issuance of inappropriate briefing by any officer of the agency to the special public prosecutor or creating impediments in her prosecution work of NIA cases she has been handling.”