RPF personnel reunite runaway teen with family | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 25, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

RPF personnel reunite runaway teen with family

mumbai Updated: Feb 03, 2012 01:05 IST
Little Yadav

Afraid that his parents would get upset to learn that he had not filled up his Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) exam forms, a 16-year-old boy from Nashik decided that he would run away from home.

But, thanks to a few generous cops from the Railway Protection Force (RPF), the teenager is now back home safely after being found at CST railway station on Monday.

When the officers of the RPF found him sitting at CST station, they knew they had a runaway in their hands and counselled him.

According to the RPF, the 16-year-old had fled from his home after stealing Rs 12,000 and his mother's gold chain.

The youth boarded a Mumbai-bound Panchavati Express from Nashik on Saturday. However, on reaching CST, he did not know where to go and hence decided to stay at the station.

The teenager was spotted crying on the platform by two RPF constables. He was sitting in the passenger area at CST.

When the two men approached him and started to question him, he gave vague answers. Sensing that something was amiss, the constables asked the boy to accompany them to the RPF chowkie.

"The boy started to cry as soon as he entered the chowkie," Shakeel Khan, inspector of RPF office at CST.

"The constables then consoled him and asked him whether he was hungry. They gave him water and food, so that he would feel comfortable."

When asked where he was from, the boy told to the officers that he had fled to Mumbai after stealing cash and valuables from his parents.

"He said he was afraid his parents would punish him as he had not filled up his HSC board examination form. When he was asked why he didn't fill it, the boy said he was not prepared and would have surely failed in the exams," said Khan.

Khan said they had informed the boy's parents that he was safe.

"They have left for Mumbai. We counselled the boy for two hours. He then admitted that he had made a mistake because he was scared. He also said he would never repeat it and run away from home," he said.

The family left for Nashik on Tuesday. The boy's father has a business of tiles and his mother is a housewife. He is the eldest son, said the RPF official.