Home minister RR Patil on Monday asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to act on Swami Aseemanand’s confession before a magistrate in New Delhi last month, that serial blasts at Malegaon in 2006 were his handiwork.
Patil wrote to the CBI after families of the 13 men imprisoned for more than four years for their alleged involvement in the September 8, 2006, serial blasts met him.
Malegaon-based lawyer Momin Mujeeb Ahmed and minister for minority affairs Naseem Khan met Patil at his official residence on Monday.
“In view of Aseemanand’s confession, the case has assumed new dimensions that need to be looked into,” Patil said. Aseemanand, a member of the right-wing Hindu group, Abhinav Bharat, is also an accused in the Ajmer, Hyderabad and Samjhauta Express blasts that together killed more than 100 people in 2007. The families of the accused say they should be released because Aseemanand has now confessed. “Those who have been wrongly arrested should be released and families that have suffered should be compensated,” Khan said. “The [police] officers who lodged false complaints should be punished.”
Qamar Jahan, wife of one of the accused, Shabbir Ahmed, said she approached many ministers for help but nothing happened. “I have four children. It is difficult to keep living off relatives,” she said. Ahmed has been in Arthur Road jail since his arrest in late 2006.
The state government had in December 2006 transferred the case to the CBI after allegations that the anti-terrorism squad (ATS) had arrested the wrong people. Four years later, the CBI filed a charge sheet similar to the one filed by the ATS that did not find any fresh evidence. “The CBI should reinvestigate the case,” said Naseem Siddiqui, president of the Maharashtra State Minorities Commission.