The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) slammed senior Congress leader Digvijaya Singh for his remarks that home minister RR Patil must apologise in the state legislature for his statatement that there was no evidence of phone records between slain ATS chief Hemant Karkare and Singh.
NCP state party president, Madhukar Pichad told the Hindustan Times , “There is no question of an apology by Patil. He made a statement on the basis of information available to the state government. He has not insulted Singh in any way.”
Patil had announced in the state assembly that the Mumbai police had no such records of a phone conversation between Singh and Karkare.
Pichad added Singh had raked up a non-issue and it was unfortunate that the issue was even being discussed. However, Singh’s remarks sparked off a war of words between the allies in the state. Congress spokesperson, Hussain Dalwai said he would have said sorry if he were in Patil's place.
“When Digvijay Singh made the statement, Patil should have asked the police to check thoroughly instead of rushing in to give a statement in the assembly with half knowledge.”
Dalwai added the issue was not a non-issue and Hindu extremism was a serious threat. He clarified this in no way diluted the fact that the 26/11 terror attacks was a war perpetrated by Pakistani terrorists.
Pichad dubbed these remarks as rubbish. “Patil is a responsible leader. Dalwai can say what he wants to. The issue of the phone conversations has been stretched too much."
Singh, in a press conference on Tuesday, released records of his phone call to Karkare made hours before the 26/11-terror attacks and demanded an apology from Patil for announcing in the assembly that no such call had been made.
On the anniversary of the attacks, Singh said Karkare had told him, a couple of hours before his death that he faced threats from Hindu extremists.