RTI activist: Builder’s men attacked me | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 22, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

RTI activist: Builder’s men attacked me

mumbai Updated: Feb 21, 2011 00:39 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Right to Information (RTI) activist, Santosh Daundkar, has filed a police complaint saying he was assaulted, allegedly by a builder’s men, at Mumbai Central on Saturday.

Daundkar, 38, filed a first information report (FIR) with the Nagpada police on Saturday night claiming that he had been assaulted for trying to expose the builder’s illegal activities.

The police have arrested 51-year-old Daniel Abraham in the case and are investigating Daundkar’s allegations.

“At around 10.30pm, Daundkar came rushing to the police station claiming that goons outside the builder’s office had threatened to kill him and assaulted him,” said Sanjay Kadam, senior police inspector.

The police said Daundkar told them that he was walking past the builder’s office when Abraham and four of his accomplices threatened him with broken bottles and abused him. “Daundkar told us the builder’s men intercepted him and threatened to kill him. We have registered the case and are conducting a detailed inquiry,” said Kadam.

Abraham, who was arrested on the basis of Daundkar’s complaint, was produced in court on Sunday where he was granted bail.

Daundkar claimed that he has been opposing illegal constructions by the builder for a long time. “In September last year, I had submitted a written application to the police saying that the same builder’s goons were threatening me,” Daundkar said. The activist had filed a petition in the Bombay high court against Adarsh Cooperative Housing Society on December 2 seeking orders to reduce the building’s height from 104.6metres to 30metres, alleging that permission to raise the height was wrongly granted.

He had also filed a petition regarding slain anti-terrorism squad chief, Hemant Karkare’s, bulletproof jacket that allegedly went missing after he worn it during the terror attacks

on November 26, 2008. Following a complaint made by Daundkar in December 2009, the Mazagaon metropolitan magistrate ordered the JJ Marg police station to register a complaint in the case.