The Regional Transport Office at Andheri on Monday seized the bus in which a four-year-old nursery student from a reputable school in Juhu was molested last week by the bus cleaner. The permit of the school bus operator and the licence of the bus driver are likely to be cancelled in the next few days.
The RTO authorities moved to take action after the state government asked the transport commissioner’s office to submit a detailed report on the action the RTO has taken against the school bus operator.
Following the molestation incident, the Andheri RTO has also arranged a workshop for school bus operators and principals in the western suburbs in its premises on January 24. “They will be made aware of the various provisions in the school bus policy, along with safety precautions to be taken to avoid Juhu-like incidents,” said a senior RTO official, requesting anonymity.
A section of the media had reported that chief minister Prithviraj Chavan and chief secretary JK Banthia had asked the transport department to review the existing school bus policy, which is yet to be implemented fully. The department, however, said that it has not received any such communication. “We have read that they have suggested that the policy be reviewed, but officially, it has not been communicated to us,” said SK Sharma, state transport secretary. He said there would be a review meeting to determine what needs to be done to avoid such incidents.
Officials with the Andheri RTO said they would wait for a few days for responses from the school bus operator and bus driver on the show-cause notices served to them.
“Before taking cancellation action, we will have for next two-three days for their reply to show cause notices,” said the RTO official.