After inspecting cricketer Sachin Tendulkar's bungalow located at Bandra (West) on Thursday, the civic body had decided to impose a penalty of Rs4.75 lakh for occupying the bungalow without an occupation certificate (OC).
However, late Thursday night, the civic body said it would withdraw the fine after guardian minister for Mumbai (suburbs) Naseem Khan instructed them to. Uddhav Thackeray and Sena leaders had a meeting following Khan's instructions to discuss the issue. Mayor Shraddha Jadhav said later, "The BMC has decided to waive off the penalty imposed on Sachin."
Tendulkar shifted into the house on Perry Cross Road on Wednesday. Earlier in the day, a senior civic official, on condition of anonymity, had said, "Tendulkar has yet to complete formalities such as submission of various department's no objection certificates (NOC) before obtaining an OC."
The civic body had initiated action against Tendulkar by slapping a notice under section 350(A) of the BMC Act.
Shiv Sena executive president, Uddhav Thackeray, reacted to the issue saying, "Sachin cannot do anything wrong, as he is law abiding citizen. He has even left the cricket pitch without the umpire declaring him out."