The colour used by children at Nehru Nagar and Dharavi during Holi celebrations contained the same chemicals, claims the report sent by the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) to the police.
A 13-year-old boy died and more than 200 children were hospitalised on March 8 due to colour poisoning.
The Nehru Nagar and Dharavi police suspected that the colour was procured from a defunct dye godown in Mahim.
An official from the FSL said: “Samples from both Dharavi and Nehru Nagar had the presence of lead, chromium, nickel, copper, iron and manganese. These chemicals are often found in dyes used in tanneries.”
“We know that the same dye was used at both places. However, to say with certainty that it was procured from the same place is difficult,” the official added.
An officer said, “One of the children in Nehru Nagar told us that he had procured the colour from Shahu Nagar in Mahim. But we wanted to be sure and hence sent all the samples to the FSL.”
The Dharavi police had initially arrested five persons. They were then sent to the custody of Nehru Nagar police where they were arrested on charges of negligence and endangering lives.