Scriptwriter found dead | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 22, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Scriptwriter found dead

A small-time television scriptwriter was found dead, reportedly due to asphyxiation, in his rented apartment on Yari Road in Versova on Monday.

mumbai Updated: Jun 15, 2010 01:26 IST
HT Correspondent

A small-time television scriptwriter was found dead, reportedly due to asphyxiation, in his rented apartment on Yari Road in Versova on Monday.

Savio Rodriques (37) was rushed to Cooper Hospital but was declared dead on arrival.

The police said Rodriques was a heavy smoker and an alcoholic. He had been staying in the Versova apartment for the past six months.

Originally from Goa, Rodriques stayed alone on the third floor of Royal Apartments and did not have any relatives in the city.

On Monday, the residents of the building saw smoke billowing out of Rodriques' house. They knocked on the door and not getting any response, they informed the house owner, who lives a few buildings away. The owner opened the house with an extra pair of keys.

"When we entered the room we could not see anything. There was a lot of smoke and the bedroom was on fire. I immediately opened the windows. Then I saw Savio on the sofa," said Sayed Shakeel, a resident of the building.

Rodriques sustained burns on his face and hands but the police ruled out fire as the cause of death.

"He was a bachelor and used to drink heavily. We had complained to the building authorities to ask him to vacate the house. But he never created any nuisance in the building," added Shakeel.

Senior police inspector Suresh Nalavade of Versova police said: "The man was an alcoholic and it seems that the fire was accidental. His friends, in their statement, said he would often sleep with a lighted cigarette in his hand after drinking heavily."

The police found several liquor bottles from Rodriques' room. "We have registered a case of accidental death and are trying to trace his relative to hand over his body," said a police official.

Though the police have not yet ascertained the exact cause of fire, a police official on condition of anonymity said Rodriques was probably drinking and smoking in the bedroom. As he was completely drunk, he must have forgotten to stub out his cigarette. This could have led to the fire.