The Mumbai police have enhanced security, especially in south Mumbai, five-star hotels, markets and places of worship, after announcing last week that four terrorists affiliated to the Lashkar-e-Taiba had entered the city.
In addition to its own personnel, the police have asked for help from the State Reserve Police Force, Force One and Quick Response Teams, said R Vhatkar, deputy commissioner of police (operations).
"We have cancelled policemen's weekly holidays until the New Year," said Rajneesh Seth, joint commissioner of police (law & order). Keeping in mind the reports of four terrorists entering the city, security is a top priority." The Mumbai police also organised a flag march at Gateway of India on Saturday evening.
Himanshu Roy, joint commissioner of police (crime), said the four alleged terrorists — Mehfooz Aalam, Walid Jinnah, Noor Ali and Abdul Karim Musa, aged 20 to 30 — had come to Mumbai with the aim of causing large-scale violence. The police also released a photograph of Jinnah and urged people to call 2263-3333 if they had any information about him.
At the airport, passengers are also being subjected to increased scrutiny — they are being frisked more than usual and armed guards are stopping to check every second car entering the airport.
The number of airport staff from the Central Industrial Security Force monitoring closed-circuit TV cameras has also increased.