Sena mayhem at Vashi hospital | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Sena mayhem at Vashi hospital

mumbai Updated: Jun 01, 2010 01:21 IST
G. Mohiuddin Jeddy
G. Mohiuddin Jeddy
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The Shiv Sena created a ruckus at Fortis Hiranandani Hospital at Vashi on Monday for allegedly not implementing an agreement with the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation to provide a 10 per cent quota for the economically weaker sections.

Police detained and then released a Shiv Sena corporator Satish Ramane and former corporator Vijay Mane on bail.

Ramane said: “I was mistreated at the hospital. No respect was given to me although I declared myself as a corporator. I was made to wait for a long time and was not given medical attention.”

“We created a scene at the hospital as it is not following the norms. It is yet to implement the 10 per cent quota scheme for the economically weaker sections which is part of the agreement between it and the NMMC,” said Mane.

“The agreement was with Hiranandani Hospital and not Fortis which now controls the hospital. How can Fortis have its name on the hospital and negotiate with NMMC?” he added.

The hospital dismissed the allegations saying it had followed the procedures set for the patient admission process.

Dr Rajeev Boudhankar, director of the hospital said: “We have a standard protocol for admitting patients which was followed in this case too. An unnecessary ruckus was created at the hospital even as the procedure was in motion.”

“One man came in and said he was getting a patient with chest pain from Pune. Later he came with the press and created a scene,” said Boudhankar.

Police have booked the duo under Bombay Police Act 68,69.

Raosaheb Sardesai, senior police inspector of Vashi police station said: “Ramane had gone to the hospital for treatment and had been asked to deposit Rs 25,000. He was upset and demanded that he be

exempted under the 10 per cent quota.”

“Vijay Mane followed and there was some trouble at the hospital. But we had everything under control,” added Sardesai.