If Rupal Gohil had not allowed her six-year-old daughter Fagun Gohil (6) to sleep for some more time then she would have been alive.
While Rupal was bathing her younger child, Jay (5), she heard a thud following which she went running to the room where Fagun was sleeping.
But what Rupal had not anticipated was the fact that the sound would change her entire life.
Fagun’s father, Bhavesh Gohil, who runs a tailoring shop in the same area, had left 15 minutes before the incident took place.
On being informed about the incident, Bhavesh rushed home immediately and found that his daughter had died.
Fagun, who had just been promoted to the first grade, was desperately waiting for her first day in school at Mount Mary School in Jawahar Nagar, Goregaon (W).
Her new school bag with new textbooks and newly covered notebooks was lying at the corner of the room.
Her new school uniform was also kept in the cupboard that she would have worn on her first day to school.
Exactly five days before Fagun’s school was to reopen, she died instantly.
She was rushed to Cooper Hospital after she was removed from under the debris that occupied most of the Gohils’ residence.
Had Rupal and her son not been in the bathroom of their one-room home, they too would have met the same fate as that of Fagun.
Today, when Rupal looks back, she regrets not having considered the advice given by a close relative, to move to a more suitable accommodation.
“I had advised Bhavesh and Rupal to move to Mira Road a number of times as this building was not in a proper condition and nor was their room. But they did not listen. However, no one had thought that their decision to stay in this dilapidated building could take such a tragic turn,” said a relative, requesting anonymity.
Fagun was a chirpy and happy-go-lucky girl according to the residents of Bharat Bhavan building. She was also good in studies.
Her schoolteacher said she was a good student and performed well. “Fagun got along with all the children in the building and there was no complaint against her from any of the children,” said a neighbour.