‘Short-circuit caused Bandra fire’ | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 24, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

‘Short-circuit caused Bandra fire’

The initial inquiry into the major fire that broke out in the nine-storey HDIL complex at Bandra (East) says the fire started due to a short-circuit in the electrical shaft on the second floor of the building.

mumbai Updated: Nov 20, 2010 01:42 IST
HT Correspondent

The initial inquiry into the major fire that broke out in the nine-storey HDIL complex at Bandra (East) says the fire started due to a short-circuit in the electrical shaft on the second floor of the building.

The fire brigade officials who are investigating the case said the shaft on the east side of the second floor that had electric meters, air-condition ducting and wires, passed through the shaft. As the fire spread, the motorcycles parked on the ground floor exploded, further aggravating the fire.

“Prima facie, this is what the investigation says. We are still waiting for the entire report,” said chief fire officer Uday Tatkare.

He added that if the vertical ducts had been sealed the fire wouldn’t have spread to higher floors.

A major fire broke in the HDIL complex building on Thursday. Even after 250 firemen, 16 tankers rushed to the spot and four hours of effort put in, the fire could not be controlled.

Meanwhile, following the incident the fire department has formed a team of 70 fire officials to inspect highrises in the city.

There are several buildings in the city that do not follow fire safety norms, said a fire official, requesting anonymity, as he is not authorised to talk to the media.