The preliminary report of the fire that broke out in the ‘A’ wing of Presidency Tower at Ghatkopar is yet to be prepared, but fire officials suspect that it was a defective electric circuit that caused the blaze.
“A short-circuit could be the reason, but we have yet to submit the report. Investigations are still on,” said a fire officer, requesting anonymity.
The fire broke out on Sunday afternoon on the 15th floor, killing Lata Duggal (60). She stayed in a 1,000 square feet flat with her son, daughter-in-law and two grandsons. However, her family was abroad at the time.
The entire flat was gutted as it had lots of wood furniture.
Assistant Ward Officer (N Ward) Shabbir Bargir said: “The reason for the fire is most likely a short-circuit, but the Fire Department is yet to submit its report.” The report is expected by the end of this week.
The civic body had made it mandatory for all buildings that have more than 13 storeys to install fire-fighting systems. This followed the Thane Tarangan complex fire in which six firemen died after choking on smoke in a lift.
“Our firemen are equipped to fight fire till the 13th floor, which is the global standard,” said Manisha Mhaiskar, additional municipal commissioner in charge of the Fire Department.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation has decided to upgrade its equipment.