Siblings injured in Thane gas leak still battle for their lives | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Siblings injured in Thane gas leak still battle for their lives

mumbai Updated: Nov 25, 2010 01:50 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Samruddhi Yermale

Eleven-month-old Samruddhi Yermale continued to battle death in the intensive care unit (ICU) at BJ Wadia Hospital, Parel, on Wednesday after her entire body suffered 75% burn wounds in a gas explosion in Thane on Tuesday.

Her sister, Sakshi, 5, who suffered 55% burns, was in the same ICU ward, while her parents and grandfather were being treated at the Lokmanya Tilak Hospital, Sion.

The Yermale family was the worst affected in the fire that took place in Anna Madrasi Chawl near Siddheshwar lake, Thane. The fire was caused by a neglected gas leak at their neighbour’s house.

Ashok Yermale, 30, and his father Bhagwat, 65, have both suffered 70% burns on their entire body, while Samruddhi’s mother, Varsha, 25, has 45% burns on her arms and legs.

“Both the father and son are critical and stand a secondary risk of infections and complications,” said Dr Suleman Merchant, acting dean, Sion Hospital.

“Yermale’s neighbours, had been notified by technicians that their gas pipe needed replacement earlier this month, but they ignored it,” said Vishal Rane, Yermale’s friend. “When the neighbours tried to switch on TV in the house, a spark triggered the fire,” he added.

The Yermale family, said Rane, has no savings that can be used for medical treatment. Ashok works at a mobile repair shop. Their friends and relatives are trying to pool in funds for the treatment, the cost of which has already exceeded Rs 50,000.

“The doctor anticipates that their treatment will come up to Rs 3.5 lakh per person,” Rane added. Six others, who were not as critical as the Yermales, were admitted to the Kaushalya Medical Foundation Trust Hospital in Thane.