Sole approver turns hostile in court | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Sole approver turns hostile in court

mumbai Updated: Oct 03, 2009 02:53 IST
Urvi Mahajani

Abrar Ahmed Sayyed (33), sole approver in the September 8, 2006, Malegaon blasts case, has not only turned hostile, he has also named the investigating officers of the Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS), saying they induced him to “confess” a crime he never committed.

Abrar has also claimed that the 2006 and September 29, 2008, blasts in Malegaon were carried out by the same persons. “Muslims have been falsely implicated in the September 29, 2008, blast in Malegaon,” Abrar said.

Following Abrar’s statement, three accused in the Malegaon blasts — Noorulhudha Samsudoha, Shabbir Ahmad Masiullah and Mohammed Jahid Abdul Majeed Ansari — have approached the Bombay High Court seeking that the Special Investigation Team (SIT) be formed on the lines of Telgi scam to probe Abrar’s retraction statement.

Abrar alleged that SP Rajvardhan confined him and induced him with monetary considerations to turn approver. Abrar had also leveled allegations against ATS chief Rajendra Raghuvanshi.

The petition said: “At regular intervals SP Rajvardhan, the present ATS chief Rajendra Raghuvanshi, Raman Tyagi of the CBI, Sachin Kadam, Sadanand Patil used to visit Abrar at Byculla jail regularly and convince him that they would arrange for his release on bail in the near future.”

Rajvardhan could not be contacted despite repeated attempts by Hindustan Times whereas Raghuvanshi said: “I have nothing to say on this. The case has been handed over to the CBI, let them take a call (on Abrar’s allegations).”

According to Abrar, Rajvardhan approached him on September 13, 2006, and tempting him with monetary considerations, gave him two mobile phones — one for Abrar and another for his wife, Jannatunnisa.

Nine accused have been arrested in the 2006 blast case with five still absconding.

The petition seeks that an SIT be formed to inquire into the allegations and the chargesheet against them be quashed and till the HC passes an order, they should be released on bail.

Initially, the ATS investigated the case. The government then handed the probe to the CBI in December 2006.