In a few months from now, buildings plans will not move from table to table in the city civic corporation or at any other government office.
The government will make it compulsory for builders and architects to file such plans online so that they remain under scrutiny and help in preventing the violation of rules.
Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan revealed the proposal on Wednesday as part of his agenda for next year. He said the move would curtail corruption at all level.
“I don’t understand why files (of building plans) should move from table to table. There are cities where building plans are filed online and approvals are also given online.”
Chavan, who completes one year in office on November 11, was speaking informally about his tenure so far and his future plans.
After he took over a year ago following the Adarsh scam, Chavan tried to rein in the builder-politicians-bureaucrats nexus.
Chavan, who strongly felt the discretionary powers of executives and bureaucrats be curtailed, especially in the real estate sector, said the new development control rules for the city would be notified soon.
New rules are designed to minimise discretionary powers that are used in allowing facilities such as flower beds, mezzanine and staircases.
In the past, violations were reported while granting such facilities.
Currently, any builder or owner of the plot, who wished to develop his land, has to pass through five to six stages such as the civic building proposals department, fire and health department, storm water drain department and the state (collector’s office/slum rehabilitation) department.
The towers which are 70 meters and more in height need to get the approval of the high rise committee.