South African national becomes 34th swine flu victim in Mumbai

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: Mar 24, 2015 17:28 IST

A 77-year-old South African national succumbed to swine flu on Saturday, the 34th death in Mumbai this year. The civic body recorded 18 new cases on Monday.

The South African national was admitted to the Holy Spirit Hospital in Andheri on March 14. According to the health report by the public health department, the man was suffering from hypertension and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

“We have not got his complete travel history. So far, we have only learned that he first arrived in Kolkata and then came to Mumbai, after which he was hospitalised,” said Dr Mangala Gomare, chief of epidemiology, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.

“We have also found out he was not administered Tamiflu, although he showed symptoms of the disease. His swab was sent for tests and the result came only on Saturday, the day he died,” said Dr Gomare.

The number of cases in the city has touched 1,452. Of the 34 people who died, 11 were city residents. The number of H1N1 cases has almost reached the 2009 pandemic, when the city had recorded 1,497 cases and 30 deaths.

also read

Start schools late as kids need their sleep: Experts
Show comments