SP to field Malegaon blasts accused in civic elections
The Samajwadi Party (SP) has nominated three persons accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts as candidates for the upcoming Malegaon Municipal Corporation elections.mumbai Updated: Mar 28, 2012 01:26 IST
The Samajwadi Party (SP) has nominated three persons accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts as candidates for the upcoming Malegaon Municipal Corporation elections.
“We have fielded Dr Salman Farsi, Mohammed Zahid and Shabbir Masiullah as our candidates for the municipal elections. We have also given a ticket to Dr Farsi’s wife Dr Nafeesa,” said Yasin Metro, president of the SP’s Malegaon unit.
The three are among the nine accused who were picked up by the state ATS for allegedly carrying out the 2006 Malegaon blasts, which killed 31 people. Of these, seven were let out on bail last year. All nine were active members of the Student Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) before it was banned.
“These people have suffered and seen the plight of poor people when they were in jail. We believe that because of their suffering, they will have more empathy and will work diligently to solve people’s problems,” SP’s state president Abu Asim Azmi said.
The Malegaon Municipal Corporation, which has a budget of Rs140 crore, will head for elections to 80 seats on April 15.
Interestingly, the Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha had also decided to field retired Major Ramesh Upadhyay, an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast, in the recently held Uttar Pradesh assembly elections.