State fills up medical vacancies
After facing a severe shortage of doctors in the state in the last few years, the health ministry got more than a 1,000 posts of medical officers in the state filled through an online examination this week.mumbai Updated: Jan 21, 2011 02:17 IST
After facing a severe shortage of doctors in the state in the last few years, the health ministry got more than a 1,000 posts of medical officers in the state filled through an online examination this week.
"Of around 1,500 vacancies, 1,180 posts of medical officer have been filled. With these appointments, there will be no vacancies across hospitals and health centres in regions like Vidharba and Marathwada," said health minister, Suresh Shetty.
"Filling up posts was difficult as recruitments are conducted through the Maharashtra Public Service Commission which takes a minimum of three years. Also, the health ministry was pulled up in two consecutive assembly sessions for severe shortage of doctors ," said a ministry source.
"Several attempts such as transferring doctors from the city to rural areas to fill the acute shortage failed because doctors were not willing to go to Naxalite areas. Also, doctors in rural areas are paid less compared to those in the city," the source said.
Finally, with a special decision in the cabinet last year, it was decided that Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Limited could conduct online exams and recruit new medical officers, the source added. Results were declared in three months." "Of the recruitments, 75 % of doctors are selected for allopathy posts while the remaining 25 % are for ayurvedic posts. Currently, only 300 posts are to be filled in the state," he added.