The Bombay high court on Friday asked the state government to reply to a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking a transfer of the probe into the July 13 bomb blasts to a central investigating agency since the state police have not been able to make any headway.
At least 27 people were killed and several injured in the explosions at Dadar, Zavari Bazaar and Opera House areas.
The state anti-terrorism squad and the crime branch of Mumbai Police are jointly conducting a multi-state probe, but no arrests have been made so far.
Advocate VP Patil, who filed the PIL, also argued that blast at Delhi high court in September is being probed by the National Investigating Agency (NIA).
Though the division bench of justices SA Bobde and VK Tahilramani was of the opinion that all the agencies are equally capable of investigating the matter, it directed public prosecutor PA Pol to file a reply within a week.
When Pol stated that a reply cannot be filed because of the sensitivity of the investigation, Justice Bobde said that the court did not want details of the investigation, and the state has to reply only on the question whether the case can be transferred to a central agency.
The petition states that the blasts were an attack on the Government of India. “It is not a local crime, and therefore the investigation is required to be done by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI),” it says.
Patil also blamed the government for its inability to prevent terror attacks and stated in his petition that there have been many attacks in Mumbai but the state is behaving in a casual manner even though the right to life and property of citizens is being affected.
Citing the example of the US, which has not witnessed a terror attack since the 9/11 in 2001, Patil said: “In our country, the rulers and bureaucrats have no desire to tackle such national issues.”
The hearing has been adjourned for one week.
Meanwhile, Patil and other petitioners who had filed PILs in the 26/11 attacks case have withdrawn the petitions in view of the affidavit and confidential report filed by the government before the court on Thursday.