The new eligibility criteria for the state management entrance exam (MH-MBA CET) have been revoked in the interest of students, but only for this academic year.
HT on January 21 had reported that the Directorate of Technical Education (DTE) had devised new eligibility criteria to improve the standard of applicants. The new criteria required a minimum of 50 per cent in the third year degree (it was 45 per cent in 2009) and also did not accept correspondence courses.
DTE’s notification, issued last month, also said that only the state entrance exam (MH MBA-CET) and CAT conducted by the Indian Institute of Management will be accepted for admissions to state institutions. Over 150 institutes, including JBIMS and Wellingkar Institute of Management Studies, use MH-MBA CET scores for admissions.
“We received several student complaints so have reverted to the eligibility criteria applicable last year (2009-10). But next year the new criteria will be enforced,” said an official from the department. Last year 1.1 lakh aspirants took the CET in state with 25,000 appearing for the test in Mumbai. This year, the MH-MBA CET will be held on February 21.
The student wing of Maharashtra Navnirman Sena had met officials of the technical department with student grievances. The changes in eligibility were made a month ago so students had started preparing.
For students, such as Satish Desai, the DTE’s decision to revoke the new eligibility norms has revived their hopes of a management career. Having scored a 48 per cent in his final year, the commerce graduate had spent a year preparing for the MBA entrance exam. “When I logged on to apply, I realised that I was no longer eligible. It was a huge shock,” said the 22-year-old, who is now eligible to appear in the exam.