State nod for extensions of houses in Navi Mumbai | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

State nod for extensions of houses in Navi Mumbai

mumbai Updated: Jan 24, 2010 01:08 IST
G Mohiuddin Jeddy
G Mohiuddin Jeddy
Hindustan Times
State nod for extensions

Better late than never. That’s the general sentiment among Navi Mumbaiites.

The state on Friday approved a proposal by City and Industrial Development Corporation (CIDCO) to regularise extensions of houses made by Project-Affected People in Navi Mumbai.

CIDCO had proposed the regularisation in October 2008, and the same was pending with the state since then.

In the ’70s, CIDCO acquired land from locals against which it had promised to allot them 12.5 per cent of developed land.

The allotment dragged on and CIDCO expedited the process only recently.

For locals, the icing on the cake is that the state has ordered a 25 per cent discount on charges CIDCO had proposed for the regularisation.

The locals had claimed that they had no option but to extend their houses to accommodate their growing families.

“The state has given a relief of 25 per cent on charges specified by us for extensions,” said CIDCO’s Public Relations Officer, Mohan Ninawe.

Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation’s Opposition leader and local Congress leader Ramakant Mhatre, who was present at the meeting at which Chief Minister Ashok Chavan issued the order said, “This is a huge relief for the project-affected. The locals are happy. Finally there is some justice.”

State minister Ganesh Naik said: “The rates are still high. I had asked the regularisation to be done at rates at which the 12.5 per cent land was given to the project affected.”