State to give 5% cash subsidy for modern fish markets | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

State to give 5% cash subsidy for modern fish markets

mumbai Updated: May 19, 2011 01:00 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar on Wednesday said that the state government would provide 5% cash subsidy to all municipal councils, to set up modern fish markets.

Under the current central scheme, the union government provides grants for up to 90% of the cost for setting up such markets, with an upper limit of Rs2.5 crore. The remaining 10% is supposed to come from the council’s funds.

Pawar’s announcement, of the state funding 5% of the cost, implies that the burden on the civic bodies is reduced.

Municipal corporations will not benefit from this grant.

Modern fish markets will aim at providing hygienic places to sell fish. This will include adequate availability of water for washing, new platforms for loading and unloading fish, stalls for retailers and wholesalers, and other such provisions.

Currently, municipal corporations of Vasai-Virar, Kulgaon-Badlapur, Baramati, Dahanu, Pune and a few others have already submitted plans to set up these markets. The estimated cost to set them up is Rs 23.17crore.