Suspended cop tries to kill herself in city | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Suspended cop tries to kill herself in city

mumbai Updated: Feb 28, 2013 01:12 IST
HT Correspondent
sexual harassment

Unable to meet the chief minister and home minister, a suspended woman constable from Aurangabad, who had alleged sexual harassment by her seniors, attempted suicide in the Vidhan Bhavan on Wednesday evening.

The police said the woman’s condition was stable.

According to the Marine Drive police, Amrita Akolekar, 30, wanted to take her plea to chief minister Prithviraj Chavan and home minister RR Patil, who were in the Vidhan Bhavan for meetings in the evening.

On failing to meet them, she consumed poison from a bottle she was carrying. She was lying unattended for several minutes, as there was no woman guard present at the time of incident.

The police said Akolekar, who was accompanied by her 18-year-old brother, was then admitted to GT hospital

Akolekar had alleged that she was sexual harassed by three of her seniors, following which one of them was suspended.

She was reportedly suspended after she misbehaved with another senior.

Confirming the incident, Ravindra Shisve, deputy commissioner of police, zone 1, said, “The incident took place around 5.30pm, following which the Vidhan Bhavan guards took her to GT Hospital. She was later shifted to Bombay hospital.”

The police are yet to record her statement and stated that she had arrived in Mumbai on Wednesday.

The suspended policewoman is a divorcee and stays with her daughter and mother in Aurangabad, police said.

GT Hospital authorities said the woman was brought in around 6.30pm. “We cleaned her stomach by conducting a gastric lavage procedure,” said a senior doctor from the hospital, requesting anonymity.

A gastric lavage includes inserting a pipe through the nose down the throat and to the stomach after which the contents of the stomach are auctioned out.

“We have admitted her to the ICU. We will observe her for another 24 hours,” said Dr Deepak Agarwal, chief medical officer, Bombay hospital.