The second wave of swine flu has not hit Mumbai yet. Twelve patients had tested positive for swine flu on Tuesday, sparking fear of a second wave but the number dropped to three on Wednesday.
“We have been getting a few positive cases every day so there is nothing alarming. The statistics do not indicate the beginning of the second wave,” said Additional Municipal Commissioner Manisha Mhais-kar. Haffkine Institute director Dr Abhay Choudhary confirmed that there had been no rise in the number of positive cases.
Meanwhile, a 54-year-old Mira Road resident, who has been on a ventilator at Nair Hospital's intensive care unit for swine flu patients continued to be critical. The woman had apparently developed flu-like symptoms on November 3 but took treatment from a private doctor and did not report to a hospital till her condition became critical. She was admitted at Lifecare Hospital in Mira Road for two days but the doctors transferred her to Nair when she developed Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (breathing failure).
Mhaiskar clarified that majority of the 12 positive cases reported on Tuesday were not of Mumbai residents. “Ten of the twelve patients had been referred to Kasturba Hospital from the airport for testing. They are not residents of Mumbai,” she said.