The designated TADA court on Monday rejected the applications of three convicts in the ’93 blasts case who had asked for some more time before they surrendered citing medical reasons.
The three, Sharif Parkar, Issac Hajwani and Mohammed Kasam Lajpuria had been given four weeks, ending this Thursday, to surrender by the Supreme Court in March after its verdict on the blasts. The trio had moved their application just a week before the deadline through their advocate Farhana Shah.
The trio had in their application stated that that their health is very poor and they are bed-ridden. “We had prayed for appointment of commission to examine their health and submit the report before the court,” Shah said.
The CBI however, objected to the application. Deepak Salvi, special public prosecutor for the CBI contended that the special court does not have the jurisdiction to decide on the matter. As the order of surrender is passed by the Apex Court, it is the only court that can grant such relief.
The special Judge GA Sanap hearing both the sides rejected the application. The trio now would move the Apex Court in few days. “We will now approach the Apex Court for relief in the case,” Shah said.
Parkar helped in RDX landing at Shekhadi Coast in Raigad on February 3 and 9, 1993. Hajwani was found guilty of criminal conspiracy and participating in a weapons training organised by Tiger Memon, while Lajpuria was convicted for aiding and abetting terrorist activities.