Terror victims meet CM, condemn government apathy

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • |
  • Updated: Nov 23, 2012 00:40 IST

Victims of the 2006, 2008 and 2011 terror attacks in Mumbai have demanded that the state government provide them long-term medical treatment, jobs and put the trials on fast track.

A day after 26/11 convict Ajmal Kasab was hanged, on Thursday, a delegation of 17 victims met chief minister Prithviraj Chavan. While Chavan assured them of help, he did not make any commitment about speeding up the court cases.

Sabira Khan, a victim of 26/11 attacks, told Chavan that she had spent Rs8.5 lakh on treatment so far, but the government has not compensated her.

“The state did my basic ear surgery, but refused to do major surgeries. I got treated elsewhere and paid for it,” she told HT.

Mahendra Pitale, a victim of the 2006 train blasts, said he is still waiting for an artificial limb. “I have lost my leg, and the state has not helped me get the much-needed support. I have also asked for a job, but nothing has happened.”

BJP secretary Kirit Somaiya, who led the delegation to Chavan, said in all 1,700 people have been affected by the three attacks.

“Most victims are waiting for long-term support. I have already given the data [of victims and their requirement] to the government and I will give it again to Chavan,” he said.

Vishweshwar Pacharane, a home guard who got injured in the 26/11 attacks at CST, said he was promised a job and treatment until he made full recovery.

“I don’t have a job or money for treatment.” Another home guard, Uttam Sasunkar, took bullets at CST, and he too is waiting to get a job.

The victims also demanded speedy trials. The CM’s office said Chavan has asked for information from concerned officials.

“He is expected to review the progress and will do his best to get justice for victims at the earliest,” said a senior bureaucrat.

 

also read

Thane building collapse: Death toll goes up to 5, rescue ops on

blog comments powered by Disqus