At least five passengers of a suburban local train suffered minor injuries and experienced breathing problems after acid spilled inside one of the compartments near Thane railway station on Friday, officials said.
The incident took place around 1.30pm when the CST-Ambernath local train was about to reach the Thane railway station, senior divisional commercial manager of Central Railway Alok Badkul said.
A 60-year-old man identified as Narayan Shetty was carrying on board the train a container of the acid, used for cleaning tiles. However, when the local was approaching Thane station, the container fell down and the inflammable substance got spilled on the floor of the compartment.
"Due to the acid spill, some people, including a woman, travelling in the compartment experienced breathing problems, while one passenger sustained minor burn injury. All of them were admitted to Thane District Civil Hospital," Badkul added.
All the affected passengers are out of danger, hospital authorities said.
Police have taken Shetty into custody as carrying inflammable substances on board a train is forbidden.