Three years after 9-year-old’s murder, Mumbai cops arrest mother | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Three years after 9-year-old’s murder, Mumbai cops arrest mother

mumbai Updated: Jan 22, 2016 19:15 IST
Manish K Pathak

Almost three years after a nine-year-old boy died under mysterious circumstances at the government quarters in Bandra (East), the boy’s mother was arrested for the murder by Kherwadi police on Friday.

According to the police, Neha Chaugule, 35, was a homemaker and lived in the government quarters in Bandra (East) with husband Gajanan, 9-year-old son Amay and a 14-year-old daughter. Gajanan worked in the Mantralaya as a clerk.

“Neha had allegedly strangulated her son after giving him poison. She had later admitted Amay to a hospital but Amay was declared dead before admission. The body had been sent to Sion Hospital for postmortem. The viscera and stomach wash had been sent to the forensic science laboratory at Kalina for chemical analysis,” said inspector Rohit Khot of the Kherwadi police station.

The police had registered a case of accidental death according to the statement given by the boy’s parents even though a preliminary postmortem report had clearly indicated that the boy had been strangulated. The boy’s mother was not questioned.

However, during later interrogation Neha told the police that she was suffering from high blood pressure and her son was very mischievous. She said she used to get complaints from his school and neighbours. So, on March 30, 2013, when the boy returned from school and made mischief, in a fit of rage she laced his food with poison and later strangulated him.

“She later threw the bottle out of the house from the window,” said Khot.

The police have not clarified why the arrest was made so late even though the forensic and postmortem reports had said the boy was poisoned to death, within a few months of the incident.

“It was complete negligence of the police officers who investigated the case at that time,” said a police officer, requesting anonymity.   

Meanwhile, police sources said Neha was having an illicit affair of which the boy was aware. The boy had threatened to tell his father about it. The police are further investigating the angle.

Neha was produced in the court on Friday and remanded to police custody till January 27.