In a move that could give a push to the cluster redevelopment policy, the state government is considering to do away with the mandatory 100% consent of property owners/landlords before the project takes off.
The state is looking at bringing down consent of landlords to 70% with a provision that remaining 30% property can be acquired.
The cluster redevelopment scheme approved in 2008 is aimed at urban renewal of the city, especially of its congested localities.
Under this scheme, developers are given Floor Space Index (FSI) of 4 as incentive to take up redevelopment of a larger area (cluster of buildings, slums), at least of 1 acre.
FSI refers to ratio between the total built-up area and plot area available. It indicates how high a developer can build and can be loosely translated into vertical development rights.
“One of the main hurdles in this scheme is getting all stakeholders on board. By bringing down consent of landlords from 100 to 70%, we hope to make the project more viable. The final decision will be taken by the chief minister soon,” said a senior official, on condition of anonymity, as he is not authorised to speak to the media.
Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan has set up a committee under urban development secretary Manu Kumar Srivastav to review the entire development control rule 33 that mandates all kinds of redevelopment in the city from that of old buildings to slums.
The first report of this committee on DCR 33 (9) pertaining to cluster redevelopment and 33 (7) on redevelopment of old buildings is likely to get discussed this week.
Chavan had asked the committee to look at ways to make cluster redevelopment more attractive and viable.
The norm to get 70% consent of tenants will continue said officials.
“Landlords can’t be allowed to hold redevelopment to ransom so this relaxation will help. But, unless the government works out a masterplan of clusters, this kind of scheme where anyone can pick some area for redevelopment, will not work,” said Mayank Gandhi, who was formerly associated with Remaking of Mumbai Federation for redeveloping C ward. This project did not take off as a section of tenants and property owners opposed it.